Your 5th through 8th Grade Admissions Checklist.
We are so pleased you are interested in Upper School at Town! Our Upper School begins at 5th grade, but we welcome applicants for all grades. Changing to a school that culminates in 8th grade is an exhilarating experience, and academically strong, socially adept students typically thrive in a transition to this setting. Below are the steps to apply, and our Admissions team is happy to answer questions any time!
We are accepting applications on a rolling basis for 2021-22, and our application for 2022-23 will be live on August 23, 2021.Apply
2. Parent conversation.
Once you complete your initial application form, you will receive an email with instructions to schedule a parent meeting with a member of our Admissions team, at a time that is convenient for you.
If you met with Admissions Director Debbie Ashe this spring or summer for a parent conversation, we consider this portion of your application process complete! You are welcome to schedule a follow-up check-in at any time.
3. Getting to know your child.
Our applicants for 5th - 8th grades will have a short Zoom conversation with a member of our Upper School team. We want to learn more about your student and we’re eager to answer their questions as well. Families will have several choices of dates and times to schedule at their convenience.
We’ll want to get to know your student in other ways too. You and your student will submit additional information and students are required to take either the ISEE or SSAT.
Standardized Testing: We suggest you register for a test date no later than December, 2021 so that we receive the results by our January 8, 2022 completed application deadline.
- You may register for the ISEE exam online at http://www.erblearn.org. Our ISEE code is 336194.
- You may register for the SSAT at https://ssat.org/. Our SSAT code is 7703.
- Please remember to list The Town School as one of the schools to which you are applying, so that test results will be sent directly to us.
Brief student essay: Students will be asked to complete a brief essay on one of six offered topics. You will find the topic options in your application checklist in the Admissions portal, once you have submitted your application. Please have your child set aside about 30 minutes to write this essay, which is intended as a writing sample to help us get to know your child better.
4. Teacher recommendations and school records.
We require a transcript and recommendation forms from your child's current English and Math teachers.
- After you have submitted your application form, your Admissions parent portal will provide a link to send to your child's teachers to complete and submit the required ISAAGNY recommendation forms.
- We require two years of your child's school records (transcript and/or narrative reports). Please contact your current school and ask that they email the records to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- We also welcome recommendations from previous years' teachers, not least because 2020-21 was an unusual year for many students.
5. Getting to know Town.
Throughout the Admissions season, we will offer different ways to help you "try on Town" as you consider your child's next steps as a learner and community member. We invite you to connect with our community online, and through interactive special events with parent, student, and alumni/ae ambassadors.
We anticipate offering in-person parent tours beginning in January 2022 and will post details on our Calendar and Events page by November 2021. Our tours will be in small groups at a variety of times to support health and safety and best serve your needs as a family.
Accepted students will have the opportunity to visit Town in person, and visits will be aligned with our current health and safety protocols.
Notification and Reply Dates
Don't hesitate to reach out any time!
Rolling Admissions for 2021-2022