The Town School offers faculty and staff competitive salaries and benefits, a collegial and supportive work environment, and significant support for professional development. We seek educators who view their work as a calling, who work hard and are dedicated to their students, and who expect to continue to grow as professionals. Our ideal staff members have a flexible, team-oriented approach and a clear understanding of how their work supports the school's mission.
Town Faculty and Staff benefits include (for full time employees)
- Medical and dental coverage for employees; partial subsidy towards family medical coverage with choice of plan
- Optional flex spending, 403b plans
- Pension plan
- TransitCheks, qualified parking, and computer loan program
- Long and short term disability and life insurance, plus the option for supplemental insurance at group rates
- Additional benefits such as discounted health club membership, discounted Verizon personal wireless service for employees, and complimentary lunch
Unless otherwise noted, applicants for all positions should send a resume, letter of interest, and the names and contact information of three professional references to Douglas Brophy, Head of School at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Resumes and inquiries are welcome at any time; our main hiring season takes place in early Spring for the following school year.
Assistant to the Academic Team, Family Leave Coverage 11/29/21 - 5/6/22
Assistant to Division Heads
Coverage for Family Leave 11/29/21 - 5/6/22
The Town School seeks a full-time Assistant to the Division Heads. The Assistant directly supports the school’s three Division Heads and Director of Placement, providing basic administrative support and performing the following tasks:
- Maintain an awareness of activities and priorities in each division and identify ways to support the work of the Division Heads and Director of Placement.
- Serve as a welcoming, helpful point of contact in the school’s Front Office. Maintain general awareness of schooI life and assist parents, faculty, and staff with general inquiries as needed.
- Assist the Division Heads in meeting deadlines for various tasks and assist in planning events as required.
- Proactively anticipate and identify ways to support the Division Heads’ work related to the program’s needs, faculty, parents, students, and special events.
- Provide administrative support to the Division Heads, including but not limited to maintaining calendars, academic schedules, copies, mailings, and other projects as needed.
- Receive requests and coordinate all substitute teaching coverage for all three divisions alongside the supervising Division Head.
- Create a schedule for Parent-Teacher Conferences in fall and spring.
- Provide High School placement support during December, April, and May.
- Maintain student report database (Blackbaud) and assist teachers with report entry as needed.
- Complete other projects as required.
- A proactive, engaged, flexible, and collaborative approach to work and an interest in independent schools.
- Ability to prioritize workflow and self-identify appropriate deadlines.
- A high degree of care and accuracy in detailed tasks.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, Google Suite, and Blackbaud EMS.
- Effective communication with broad constituencies by phone, email, and in person.
- Commitment to Town’s mission and its approach to diversity, inclusion, and equity.
- Personal characteristics of an outstanding professional: warmth, tact, discernment, superb communication and organization skills, high energy, and a good sense of humor.
To apply, please reach out to David Andrew Wood at email@example.com by Friday, November 5, 2021.
Lower School Science Teacher for 2022-23 School Year
The Town School seeks an experienced elementary school science teacher (Gr. 1-4) for the 2022-23 school year.
Lower School Science Teacher Major Responsibilities:
- Teach Science classes for 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th Grade students (approximately 160 students total) using a hands-on, inquiry-based approach.
- Work with 5th/6th and 7th/8th Grade Science teachers to ensure cohesiveness, appropriate sequencing, and program alignment across the Science curriculum, including building and managing a grade-level spring science community event.
- Maintain and care for science classroom insects, plants, animals, and materials.
- Work collaboratively with homeroom teachers, the Guidance team, and parents to closely monitor and support student progress.
- Differentiate instruction to attend to the needs of individual children.
- Communicate effectively with colleagues, parents, and administration.
- Collaborate as appropriate with other departments and homeroom teachers to develop connections with other areas of curriculum.
- Contribute constructively to all faculty discussions and continue to grow professionally (i.e. conferences, in-service training, current literature).
- Related Bachelor's Degree required, Master's Degree preferred
- 3-5 years experience teaching elementary students
- Experience teaching Science using a hands-on, inquiry-based approach
- Excellent classroom management and time management skills
- Interest in and experience with coding/educational technology a plus
- Ability to work as a member of the larger Science team
- Ability to communicate effectively with colleagues, students, and parents
- Supportive of Town’s mission and values, and a demonstrated commitment to the aspirations in our school’s Statement on Diversity, Inclusion, and Equity.
- Personal characteristics of an outstanding professional: warmth, empathy, discernment, strong organization skills, and a good sense of humor
Town aspires to be an equitable and inclusive school community and therefore strongly encourages applications from candidates with diverse backgrounds and experiences, as well as a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
To apply: Send a resume, a letter of interest, and the names and contact information of three professional references to David Andrew Wood, Head of Lower School at firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The Town School is strongly committed to equal employment opportunities for all individuals. The School does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, religion or religious practices, color, gender, including gender identity/expression, age, national origin, physical or mental disability, creed, citizenship status, military or veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, prior arrest or conviction record, genetic predisposition, status as a domestic violence or stalking victim, caregiver status or any other status or characteristic protected by applicable state, federal, or local laws.