The Town School is accredited by the New York State Association of Independent Schools, which is recognized by the National Association of Independent Schools Accreditation Commission.
- 400 students in Nursery 3 - 8th grades
- 6:1 overall Student / Teacher Ratio
- 50+ home zip codes in our community.
- Typical class size ranges from 18-22 children.
- 2 sections of each grade level from Kindergarten through Eighth grade.
- Co-teacher model in grades N3 - 4: two experienced co-teachers in the classroom (as opposed a head teacher and an associate).
- 3 teachers in each classroom for grades Nursery 3, Nursery 4 and Kindergarten.
- 2 teachers in each 1st - 4th grade classroom.
- 2 homeroom teachers for each 5th - 8th grade homeroom class.
- Upper School teachers also serve as advisors, personally focusing on and supporting ~10 students as their advisees.
- Reading, Math and Learning Specialists, as well as two school Psychologists, support students and collaborate with teachers in all grades.
- 36% of students identify as people of color.
- 34% of faculty and staff identify as people of color.
- 2 full time librarians teach weekly classes for grades N3 - 4
- 2 independent NYC community-focused educational organizations make their home at Town: Breakthrough New York and Early Steps.
- 19% of the student body receives financial aid.
- Light-filled classrooms, many with river views.
- Library at the heart of the school with over 18,000 books as well as online resources.
- Modern science and technology labs.
- Full-sized gymnasium.
- State-of-the-art theater.
- Arts wing complete with dance space and our own pottery kiln.
- Three play terraces for daily recess periods.
- Access to neighboring John Jay Park.
- Randall’s Island fields for weekly Upper School PE classes and athletic events.
NYC as classroom.
Students of all ages participate in regular field trips to take advantage of the incredible opportunities available in and around New York City, and as far away as Washington, D.C.
Sustainable facilities commitment:
- 100% Green Power - we are in the EPA’s list of the top 30 schools nationally using green power!
- Town was the first school in Manhattan with a rooftop wind turbine.
- Solar panels provide energy for our science labs.
- Food for our daily snack and lunches is sourced from local farms.
- The student-maintained Tower Garden in our back lobby provides greens and herbs for school lunches.
Our students' experience.
- The school day runs from 8:15am to 3:30pm, with earlier dismissal times for younger grades.
- Monthly All School Assemblies bring the whole community together for student performances and announcements. Assemblies are livestreamed for parents who cannot attend in person.
- Buddy classes sit together and meet after each All School Assembly, giving older and younger students a chance to meaningfully interact.
- Fuel for learning: all students have a hearty mid-morning snack each school day, and lunch is served for 1st through 8th grades in the cafeteria Monday through Friday. Nursery and Kindergarten students bring their lunch to school. Special dietary needs are accommodated.
- P.E. and/or play-roof time is scheduled daily for all grades. Upper School students have P.E. classes at Randall's Island sports fields during warmer months or Asphalt Green in winter.
- Upper School students have designated free time each day for free play or clubs and activities.
- Dance, Music and Art classes are part of each grade’s curriculum, including a percussion ensemble, band and chamber ensemble for higher grades.
- After school activity options include private music lessons, Postscript courses ranging from jujitsu to cooking, or arts and crafts, casual play for all ages at Clubhouse, and team sports for Upper School.