Town's current budget for financial aid is $2,600,000; approximately 19% of current students receive financial assistance. In addition to financial aid grants for tuition, Town's Esther Kramer Fund helps families pay for other costs, such as tutoring and testing, that can be part of the cost of attending Town. Reduced fees for uniforms and events and financial support for students needing counseling are also offered by the school.
Start your application now.
You can access Town's financial aid application through TADS, and you can start the process today! Just follow the steps below:
- Click here to go to the TADS website.
- Select Financial Aid Assessment from the menu.
- Create an account (or sign in, if you have used TADS before).
- Select New York State and New York City.
- Select The Town School.
- Confirm the school year for which you are applying (2019-2020).
Our process is simple and discreet.
Parents must complete the TADS application form, which will help determine a family's estimated contribution to school costs. The Town School will then review this estimate and the applicant’s current year Federal income tax return to determine the actual financial aid grant. The Head of School, the Chief Financial Officer and the Director of Admissions are the only people who review financial aid applications. All information is held in strict confidence. Once reviewed, a determination is made and the family is notified. Financial aid is given for the academic year - families must reapply for aid every year. All financial aid is based on need; Town does not offer merit scholarships. Regardless of need, all families that receive financial aid make some contribution to the cost of tuition.
- Please note: Financial Aid is not available for Nursery 3 or Nursery 4 students. Families may apply for aid beginning in Kindergarten.
- If a family has children in another tuition-charging school, they must apply for aid at that school in order to be eligible for aid at The Town School.
- If you have questions at any point about the process or the criteria for evaluating your application, please feel welcome to call The Town School Business Office at 212-288-4383. All inquiries will be held in the strictest confidence.
Is my family eligible for financial aid?
Many factors go into determining whether a family demonstrates the need for financial aid. Family income, net worth, assets, debt, and the number of children in tuition-charging schools are some of the variables. Financial need is defined as the difference between the costs of a school and the family’s ability to pay for these expenses. If in doubt about eligibility, please contact the Business Office.
- All Financial Aid Application materials for 2019-20 are due no later than January 8, 2019.
Families are notified of financial aid determinations after their applications are complete. Questions about financial aid can be directed to Freda Gimpel, Chief Financial Officer, or Linda B. Shuffman, Director of Admissions and Enrollment Management.
The following benefits are available for families receiving financial aid.
- Reduced After School Programs Fees: Postscript and Jr. Postscript are after-school programs offering classes such as woodworking, art, jujitsu or chess. Clubhouse is an after-school drop-in program open every day until 6:00 p.m. that features supervised play and arts and crafts with two wonderful faculty members.
- Discounted tickets for the annual Benefit Party.
- Other forms of support may be available. Please do not ever hesitate to request a confidential conversation with Freda Gimpel, Chief Financial Officer, or Linda B. Shuffman, Director of Admissions and Enrollment Management.